Common Liberal Behaviors
One of the important things to notice about life are patterns. The following are frequent such patterns that I constantly see from liberals & leftists as the below facts show.
How & Why Leftists Demonize Conservatives:
- I've noticed that those on the left rarely speak or debate the substance or merits of the issue.
- Rather they smear, mock, or personally attack the conservative PERSON rather then attack their POSITION.
- This tactic allows the leftist to dismiss the conservative person and thus all of that person's arguments. This tactic also allows the leftist to avoid discussing the merits of the issue since often they know that they cannot win on the substance of their argument.
- Finally this tactic forces the conservative person to defend him or herself which places the leftist attacker in control and at an advantage. Plus when the conservative person defends themselves, the discussion has already shifted away from the merits of the issue which is what the leftist wants.
Why does this matter?
- Because this makes it impossible to have a civil and rational dialogue about important issues that affect our country with my fellow American leftists.
- As much as I disagree with leftists, they are my neighbors, family members, and fellow citizens that I want to communicate with about these important issues. I don't think they are necessarily bad people; they are just people I disagree with.
Then what's the solution?
- We must respectfully disagree with one another without thinking that the other person is a bad person or has bad intentions.
- Rather than try to convince one another to your viewpoint, we should just say, "I prefer clarity to agreement." (this is an idea from Dennis Prager) And do not try to change the other person's mind or win the argument. Instead just have a dialogue between the two of you about where you differ.
- We should say to one another, "I believe in position A because of XYZ reasons. Why do you believe in position B? I'm not trying to convince you. I would just like to know your rationale. Maybe I'm wrong and I can learn from you."
- Then just listen. Don't argue or correct the other person. But you can ask non-hostile, clarifying questions.
- This way, you end up just clarifying your different positions instead of arguing. And you will have a civil, respectful dialogue about the differences you have. Try this method, as you might learn something from the other side.
But don't conservatives demonize leftists too?
- Yes but in far lesser instances. There are plenty of conservatives who are inappropriate and there are many civil, respectful liberals.
- However in general, the leftists that demonize the right vastly outnumber those on the right who vilify leftists. This is especially true when you look at the mainstream representatives of the left and the right.
- In general, conservatives generally do not believe liberals are bad people but rather wrong despite their good and honorable intentions as conservative Bill O'Reilly says here as an example. (at 0:25)
- In contrast, liberals generally believe that conservatives are bad people as the evidence below shows.
Conservatives are Racist
Conservatives are Nazis
Conservatives are Extreme & Dangerous
Conservative Are Bad People